Skip to main content

You done good

While some of my kind may swoon over a day dedicated to Conroy's, See's and scallop-edged hearts, I have just never been a huge fan of the old St. Valentines' Day. Shocker. Perhaps it's due to some past V-days resulting in multiple texts asking if I'd like "join" romantic escapades like getting "McDonald's and a 12-pack." BTW, did anyone else just realize society really should use the word swoon more often?
Anyhoo, I'm not going to pretend to loathe a gift or steak and red wine din thrown my way in mid February, but when that "V hyphen Day" falls on a Monday and I have laundry to put away and significant TV shows to watch, I honestly could do without it altogether.

This year the way the boo made me "celebrate" this love-ly day was just right. Partly because it was carried out the day before (A Sunday-Funday hello?!) and partly because the formula was so very brilliant...

It started with him seeking out my EXPERTise in organization. The only payment I require for my assistance being a tall, nonfat, decaf, iced latte in a grande cup with room for extra ice Obviously. After some spastic organizing (I just get really excited) of his various man things (try not to be pervy, I'm referring to tools and bolts and such), we ran an impromptu "errand" to The Sports Authority. This has become our fave spot as we shop for tents and sleeping bags and other hardcore "gear"...we don't camp, we "backpack" try to keep that straight. This year has brought new activities into my life, okay?!

So, being the go-with-the-flow gal I am (or pretend to be depending on who you ask), I strolled through the inspiring store without a care. We arrived to just the right isle and he bent down on one knee...

to pick up his phone which fell off the right side of his belt (that's where men over 30 holster their Droids-sexy right?), and said the words I've been longing to hear for months...

"Babe, I wanna buy you a good pair of blades. Pick out whatever ones you want."

Clearly I went for the turquoise K2's. I mean, If you're going to Rollerblade, you might as well do it right.
He maaay have had me pick out some new Nike (perfect for tanning legs while blading) shorts to wear as well. When you give a mouse a cookie...

After the obvious next several hours of the day (boardwalk blading) we finished up our adventure with the best hamburger and cold beer (Bud Light of course, I have a figure to maintain, hello?) in town. This is where you get a plug: Rocky's in PB=pure glory. If you don't agree I'll...disagree with you.

It was a perfect day.

With the sentiments behind us, the actual day that belongs to Valentine included an out of the ordinary Monday night rendezvous with a fantastic spread of chili dogs and tots...and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Which I baked, uh thank you...and placed in a heart shaped dish. I'm coming around. Proud?

While I would NEVER use my blog to write a love note (who does that?) I will say just this...

Boo, you done good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew