Skip to main content

Aha

I figure A million things going on should lead to at least a few things being learned... "take aways" if you will. I know NERD alert. I'll always be a teacher. It's my craft.


The education types loooooove describing the moment students figure something out as an "AHA moment". Note, now that I work with adult students I call them Stu's, so hipster right? Anyway I personally hate the "aha moment" term. I guess it's easy to hate anything you have to hear over and over, generally said in a way that is just. so. smug.

I'm unable to think of a more legitimate phrase so for now lets just say I've had a few aha moments. (the worst right? You know you hate it too)

Many of my recents have been wedding related, but why don't we ease up on that for a post or two. I'm starting to annoy myself.

You may be more intelligent and have already had these light bulbs go off, so my apologies if you're super to those that are already wise and awesome.

First...Vegas.
Recently I went to Vegas for a Bach partay....not my own, I said no wedding talk today. Here are some little tokens I left with (teachers say tokens too):

Flying out on a Friday night at 9:30 means two things. One is that you are probably saving $80. The other- you're with all the drunks... and San Diego males that wear "Tap Out" blouses. I guess that's three.

Leaving at 8:35 on Sunday morning is quite the contrary. While there are a few youthful early risers on the flight (they are often wearing ray bans and sipping on bloody Mary's ) most are grandma and grandpa's age, headed back home to places like Reno. The aha: Sunday will be brutal regardless so why the heck not head home early, grab a croissonwich and diet coke at the airport, and enjoy a conversation with the president of the Shriner's sitting next to you.. He may even show you his fez. Now that's livin.

More? Okay.

Not everybody calls Apple product users "Apple heads" so... When you are about to say it, look around first and if you're not the only one in the room, probably hold off. This aha can be put in place with many other sayings as well. Thank God I found someone as weird as I am. Don't settle folks. (Deep right? an aha for some)

Spray tans. Take advantage of the new and improved drying cycle that the innovative Mystic has implemented. Remember when you used to step out of the dome and have orange run down your bare calf? Not a prob any longer gals...(and guys... I mean, whatever. do your thing).

And you thought I'd share my aha's from six months of Graduate School.  C'mon that's no fun at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew