Skip to main content

Telling Grandma

Of course "posting" big news for the world to see is exciting.  Even if you're not completely obsessed with Facebook, all the "likes" and "comments" can be a fantastic distraction from work for as long as 48 hours. But...

there is just nothing like telling Grandma you're pregnant.



I've written about my Grandma here and there, mostly early on in my blog. She played a huge role in my childhood and while I want to be intentional about taking nothing away from my incredible parents, I have to say that I spent the majority of my time growing up with my Grandma. When all after-school days and most summers are spent at Grandma and Grandpa's house, the hours quickly add up. I find that there are ways I behave in my adult life that just have to be a product of being so close and so influenced by my Grandmother. One example: my devout belief in the idea that "neatness counts."

Since I'm just about 30 now, that unfortunately means that my grandparents have aged as well.  Grandma is now in her late 80's and living in a convalescent home, with pretty advanced dementia. While I can't visit as often as I'd like, every time I make the trip to San Dimas, I am overwhelmed with how connected I still feel to her.  Of course my mom, a loyal and daily visitor to Grandma, meets me at the home each time I go.  On my most recent trip, I shared with Mom that the three of us in the same room just feels right although it's been over ten years since that was the norm.

It's standard that there is confusion upon my arrival. Once we tell Grandma who I am, my mom quickly tells her that I'm pregnant. She just can't wait a minute longer and I can't blame her. It's as if there is a moment of clarity and this new great grandchild on the way makes perfect sense. My grandma smiles during the entire visit. I felt her genuine interest and excitement, since she asked the same three questions over and over. She really wanted to know:

How I had been feeling.
If my husband was excited.
How far along I was...although after answering "3 months" just three times, this question evolved into "So you're 3 months?"

As a former Kindergarten teacher and current mom to teenagers, I'm a pro at repeating myself.  But never have I enjoyed it as much as this. One of my favorite observations from Grandma went something like, "Well, you sure aren't very big."  Could I love this woman any more?  (Answer- No, I love her so, so much) We used to get off the phone by repeating we loved each other a bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck.

My mom asked what Gram thought I was having and for a moment, Grandma's smile went away and she very seriously said, "Well, she's having a boy."

Stay tuned...

And if you have the ability to reach your grandma by phone or better yet, give her a hug in person soon...DO IT!  PS You don't have to be pregnant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew