Skip to main content

No Small Potatoes...

Sometimes life happens all at once.  In fact most of the time it happens this way.  My husband and I think it's best (apparently) to not just have a baby- have I mentioned I'll be doing that soon?- but to also alter our life completely by MOVING it all to...

IDAHO.

Yup, I'm moving to Idaho. We bought a house, today starts my last full week of work,  and just about everything in life is changing.

Let me tell you, moving away from the state you've spent all your life in...is no small potatoes. Aside from only having lived in two cities thus far *Azusa and San Diego, moving out of California is pretty significant.  I'm not going to hate on this beautiful state, but I will say it is clear that the next chapter for us and our family is meant to be outside of this place.
*Okay I usually claim to be from Covina, (Glendora if I'm feeling fancy & San Dimas if "Raging Waters" is someone's only point of reference) but the reality is living on Citrus Ave means I'm from Azusa.  So there.

The easiest part of moving to focus on and even write about, for me, is the logistical piece. I could probably dedicate a daily post to the minutia! The first one might be on how annoying selling your car is, and maybe the second about fitting in all the dental and optometrist appointments you can before leaving your comprehensive and familiar health insurance.  Who's to say? The purpose of this post however- NOT logistical.  Emotional.

Unfortunately (or conveniently?) I can't be too emotional since I'm writing it from my office and don't care to have coworkers catch me crying...again.

It's hard for me to tell people things they don't want to hear.  I find it hard to tell them things they don't LOVE hearing (an even deeper level of wanting to please). Obviously moving away is not personal- except maybe to my current stoop-smokin' neighbor. Gross. But somehow it feels like telling people we're leaving is the equivalent of offending their mother or kicking their dog. The 20 year old inside me is used to doing things that people really like, and approve of.  I don't think I ever went as far as making decisions based on hopes of that approval, but you better believe when I got it I LIKED it. I've grown accustomed to how warm and fuzzy it feels to know everyone gets what you're doing and thinks it's A-OK!. Thinking and acting outside the (approved and standard) box- that gets tough.

It's safe to say the things worth doing, are hard to do.  In this case, more uncomfortable than difficult. What I feel beyond happy about: I have a great partner to make these things happen with, a baby on the way that will have a big home and full-time mom to join,
and all of YOU to support us on our new adventure...and host when you find yourself in the Pacific Northwest. Stay tuned for more on our road to becoming Idahoans...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew