Skip to main content

Surviving the holidays and the flu

As of December 5th we have a BABY. I'd love to make my first post with said baby (Charlotte Grace, the most precious baby in the whole entire world) be my...ready for it..."Birth Story" but I'm not going to. And let me just say, I'm really against (or maybe intrigued with?) everything becoming a "thing" these days- including how one has their baby. It's not just telling people about how the delivery of your baby went. It's your "Birth Story" and is a "thing" that must be both inspirational and horrid at the same time. Good thing mine totally is, but that's for another day...and that post won't be titled "My Birth Story," I promise.

Today I have to instead write about having the flu, in the midst of the holidays, with a newborn.

I completely understand NOW how entire blogs are devoted to having children, running a household blah blah blah. There's kind of a lot to it.  Until 3 months ago I had never owned a home, and until 3 weeks ago never owned a baby. Today both need to be taken care of and I have the fricken FLU.  I'm not the first in this house to have this God forsaken virus as my husband had a miserable version of it (strand I guess I should say) and is still getting over it.  Luckily he got well enough to function just as it hit me for real.  Last night while he camped out in the nursery with the babe (he's just so good) I was able to have my second 13-hour night's sleep alone in our bedroom. We've become pretty good at the whole quarantine thing. Confession: A week ago I fantasized super hard about getting to sleep through an entire night. Doing it because of NyQuil and not being able to comfort my baby when I hear her cries = The Worst. So not worth the sleep.  Whodathought.

What I would normally be doing today (or even days ago) would be taking down every *green and red thing in my house, cleaning up all post flu germs by washing that blanket on the ottoman that all the kleenex were thrown on etc, and planning what the New Year would hold- things like Mom2Mom group on Tuesday mornings, workout plans and what needs to be organized in 2015. To most, waiting to do the things listed above wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I happen to be completely crazy.  How do I cope you ask?
*Some battles aren't worth fighting.  Husband and big kids love the traditional red and green, colored lights on the Christmas tree thing. Fighting for white lights and a silver/gold motif that would be more suitable for family room decor is only worth so much energy.

I can't handle the baby with whatever ailment is going through my body but I can, after thorough hand washing, wash her bottles (yes my baby is both breastfed and bottle fed, don't judge #mommywarsisa"thing").  I can keep cleaning up after my other family members (big kids are home for Winter Break) and slowly take Christmas crap into the front room that we use for storage e.g. glittery votives here and there, useless Santa tea towels, things of that nature. I have gotten in a few essential loads of laundry and unloads of the dishwasher when hopped up on the DayQuil.  These things help the household as a whole, as well as my sanity.  Feeling productive is a cure-all for this nutty blonde.

I couldn't be more THANKFUL for my husband (who gets the "BEST" award in two categories now) and our big girls- they're actually extremely tiny but happen to be 18 and 19 years old which equals "big" in my book. Everyone has jumped in to help and been flexible with plans since the flu hit our house. I mean, how many times is Mommo (that's me) really allowed to postpone making that pumpkin pie? It was going to be a Christmas Eve, Christmas and then New Year's treat...and the can of condensed milk still sits in the pantry. We're all doing what we can.

Being sick now is so much worse than it would have been just a month ago. But...this too shall pass.  Onto the next year- hopefully one of health, wealth and prosperity!

P.S. Is my baby super cute or what?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew