Skip to main content

FanFRIGENtastic

Charlotte and I took our first Mommy-Lotti trip, to North Carolina. I spent the entire week prior packing during nap times so that I felt as prepared as possible for two 9-hour days of travel and a week away from home (also to satisfy some freakish compulsion to be organized and in control of things that intimidate me).

If Delta didn't think an overstuffed diaper bag, bulging *CK hobo and a baby carrier (fit for Everest should we chose to climb it someday) were appropriate for the allotted carry-on allowance, well...they had another thing coming.  *Become a mom and kiss wearing your favorite purses goodbye, unless you can stuff some blankets and bottles in them and take them on a flight. Booya.

The first leg, to Minneapolis, went better than expected. The subtle motion of the plane taking off was enough to rock my little pook to sleep for almost the entire flight. Her awake time was spent snacking on puffs (best baby time waster ever) and being entertained by whatever tricks were pulled out of my totally normal sized bags.
I specified that was the first leg right?

5am Happy Girl

Almost to our layover, still happy.  She's got plans for me.
The second was quite another story.  I can only describe my state as sweaty, frustrated, on edge and perhaps a little frantic. All of course because Charlotte's state was...psychotic.  Yes, even the best and cutest of babies become complete mental cases from time to time.  She chose the 4 hour flight to be that time.

The gal in our row seemed nice enough.  I questioned the positioning of her cell phone (why is it some girls chose to prop it in their cleavage? For another time I suppose...) Her patience was much appreciated, but not as necessary as that of the flight attendants. They were forced to share their tiny flight attendant area with me and my screaming child. Because of the standard air bus layout, this meant we also shared the HUGE corridor between the bathrooms with all passengers behind row 15. FanFRIGENtastic. Even the buckle-your-safety-belt sign didn't deter me from the stake I had claimed.  If anyone, including Frowny Magee in the last row thought it would somehow be better for me to return to my seat with said screaming baby, they were just as nuts as Charlotte.

We finally touched down and what do you know, Lotti chilled out and the clearly annoyed passengers  around us realized she happens to be the most charming little girl in the whole wide world.  I mean that dimple and those big 'ol eyes- good luck holding a grudge against my kid.

Nothing cheered me up quicker (lowered my blood pressure is more like it) than the sight of my very best friend and her two kiddos holding a sign that read "Welcome to Charlotte Charlotte!" Ah, we had arrived.

In addition to non-stop gabbing (dishing, laughing...you get the picture) it was the BEST to be around my bud that I can talk to about all things baby and non-baby related. It can be tough to get a word in edgewise in a group of women (ok, group of moms particularly- no offense, it's just that we have so much to SHARE-one of my reasons for blogging-helloooooo?) I think Steph and I really give each other the respect we deserve.

Just a few of the simple tidbits I took away from our trip:
1. Preparations and Intentions only go so far and sometimes you just have to be the lady with the screaming baby. It's God's way of humbling us.
2. No matter how much trouble I am having with patience for the teething and growing 11-month old,  if someone else shows signs of such, well...Mama Bear has been poked and that's not advisable.
3. Putting a bunch of food on your baby's tray and letting her feed herself may be messy but boy is it fun.
4. When people visit your house, you should absolutely have a Welcome Basket in their room. Mostly because it's the best thing ever.
5. Pumpkin candles burning in the kitchen are amazing. duh.
6. Putting cute clothes on in the morning IS an option, even though you're a stay-at-home mom
7. Not everyone's baby poops in the bathtub.
8. Not everyone's new non-California city is as small as Boise. Whaaaat?
9. Traveling will never be the same again. Being away from the father of my child (my one and only boo) is tougher than ever before.
10. I am so blessed and thankful for my besties. We represent more than a few states now (not officially, although I wouldn't count it out #whydoIlovepolitics), and even still, when we are together it's like we're still roomies/dormmates #collegespeakfroma31yearold

I've been working slowly on this post since we got up today at 5:38am.
There's more to come on our travels back home...Second leg troubles us again and this time with an overbearing helper.

Happy Thursday and Go Tar Heels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew