Skip to main content

Happy (mostly) Campers


Camping is a real THING here in Boise, likely because of the ability to drive as little as an hour and a half and land somewhere stunning. While we dabbled in the hobby as Californians, we weren’t totally into it until moving here- at least I wasn’t.

Did you ever go camping as a child? Remember how the adults were always doing a bunch of stuff… and sometimes stubbing their toe while making up the beds?” 
Welp, we’re the adults now.

The preparation and work that goes into camping is extensive.  I’m referring to camping with kids, obviously.  Everything one could ever do in life is 94% easier without children, that’s a super solid figure of course. If you don’t agree- let’s talk (and you can tell me ALL the secrets). I’d like to think that the hub and I, and I suppose the kids too, have gotten into a pretty good rhythm with all the ins and outs (and whathaveyou’s) when it comes to our camping routine.  That doesn’t mean special words don’t get dropped from time to time- I mean, I’m human, and a mom. While we’re on that subject just briefly, any other mothers feel like since having and raising babies they’ve gotten way crazier? Ok cool, it’s not just me. I’ve always been a praying woman, but boy do I lean on the LORD these days.

We brought a Honda 90 Trail bike with us this week. Toys like this can be used to check out nearby sites for future trips, in addition to being purely recreational by the way.  I have only taken one ride this week on the bright orange beast because I prefer to ride on flatter, dryer land. Spring is a rainy time here especially in the mountains, and Summer weather should be better suited for my riding needs- I’m a whimp. Because we try HARD to be intentional about giving each other increments of time away (from chasing the kids, cleaning up, being social, any other activity that can leave one needing a little refresh) the husband has chosen to ride…and I have chosen to write. We stager our times so that our babies don’t get stolen and then eaten by bears, obviously. 

For the sake of our family’s processes and perhaps yours too, I figure writing down some of the ways we organize and successfully execute a camping trip, currently with a 2 and 4-year-old, might be valuable. Notice I didn’t include “dog” in our list of attendants.  Our cat who stays home alone while we’re out adventuring, barely gets fed (I’m exaggerating, she’s well fed, don’t call some hotline right now). I am well aware of my limits in life. There are people I know that have utilized their pet for helping entertain their small children.  They are brilliant.  This is not my life. So I will not be including what it takes (just food I would think, but who knows) to bring an animal in addition to the humans on your campout.

So…where do we start?

1st- Scope out the nearest motel in the event your trip is a total failure. Just kidding.

1st- Calendaring and booking sites. It’s probably not necessary to say too much on this so I’ll say very little (ok not very little).

You need to book a site most of the time and you’ll be forced to use Recreation.gov for most campgrounds. When I camped as a kid “campground” meant white dividing lines on gravel, swimming pools, a convenience store on site where you bought candy cigarettes (duh), maybe an amusement park nearby, things of this nature. Idaho confused me at first, in so many ways but I’ll stick to the subject at hand. “Campground” here usually means…um…the forrest. Walk-ups (sites that don’t get “booked” but are available for use) can be an excellent way to go but you have to know the area you’re heading into…verify there’s enough space for your camper if you’ve got one, check that the “roads” are manageable with your rig, know how busy it gets during that particular time of year etc. *Did she just say “rig?” Yup. Wow.

We’re fans of arriving to our site, especially when it’s a walk-up, on Thursdays whenever possible. The very trip we’re on now started on a Thursday at Sage Hen Reservoir. If you’re an Idahoan, Sage Hen is well worth the effort it takes to get there, but a word to the wise- drive through Ola/Sweet, ID. If you go through Smiths Ferry, a familiar route to get to a lot of great camping, you’ll be sorry. It’s an off roading-for-way-too-long situation, even in an F250 that your other half loaded up with (ridiculous) wheels and suspension.  I love him.

Anyhoo as far as your own planning goes, I personally can’t do back-to-back weekend trips. In very specific circumstances we could make it work (I’m a flexible wife like that) but it’s not ideal. As I mentioned there’s a lot involved in these trips and you want to enjoy your life don’t you? Most campsites we hit open for online booking around 6 months in advance, that means January... June is about when you want your camping season to start.  Most years we start sometime around Mothers’ Day and get reminded (every time) that it’s still very wet. Cold camping can be fun, just go expecting it-tarps for covering the bikes/toys, well tested awnings, warm clothes, indoor games etc.  When you live in a place with seasons, planning summer out in January is pretty exciting. You’re just about over wearing your Sorels and down jackets every day so the thought of swimming in a lake is just invigorating! It’s fun to plan some group sites with friends too! Some of our favorites have been at Warm Lake, Ponderosa State Park in McCall and Bull Trout on the way to Stanley. Okay so you’re booked out (through September if you don’t have school-aged kids!) now what…

2nd- Linens & Apparel…One to Two weeks before your trip (prior to getting the RV de-winterized, opened up and in your driveway, all man jobs in my opinion)-  This may mean taking things out of the attic, pulling fleece blankets off the beds (it’s getting warmer anyway YAY), grabbing sheets out of the spare bedroom, whatever! Gather all the linens: sheets (I pack flannel and microfiber so we have options based on weather), blankets, pillow cases, hand towels, showering and swimming towels, kitchen towels. If you need to purchase these things so that you’re not stripping all your beds and bathrooms at home, I recommend Amazon Basics and Walmart! Say what you will about Walmart but it comes in pretty clutch for camping. I put all these items in a humongous sturdy bag from World Market that they gave me when I bought two wreathes last winter (strategery).  The point is have them all in one place, keeping all the sleeping quarters in mind.

We give each kiddo their own space to sleep... I’m not looking for a situation where one wakes up the other, resulting in a child crawling into MY bed. So, Charlotte (age 4) sleeps on the kitchen table that converts into a bed and Bailey (age 2) is on the couch that pulls out to a bed, both in the main living area of our camper. Until this season, we had Bailey sleep in a “Pack ‘n’ Play.” I picked up one specifically for camping (it’s not as heavy as some and can stay stowed on the RV). Our slide-out creates enough space to accommodate it. If you’re tenting, there are typically dividers where you can separate people (kids from adults, whatever), OR you can just plan for each air mattress/pad. I’d have egg crates in there too! Pack ‘n’ plays can be small enough to fit in a tent, or maybe a “rock n play,” whatever kind of “play” your baby prefers to sleep in! I always bring each kid one of their blankies from home and a stuffed animal so there’s some familiarity in their camping bed. Since you’re limited on toys to entertain them when they’re inside (like when it’s raining for example) the stuffed animals are great for that too. This weekend Zebra and Bunny have been majorly up in the mix.

I like to pack our pillows from home the morning of, and I throw the already aboard “camping pillowcases” on them so that 1) our pillowcases from our bed at home aren’t camp-ified and 2) they match the sheets on the RV- very important. Since our kids are small I can get away with one big beach towel for them to share for baths (yes they get bathed when we camp) and one for them at “the beach.” Beach = Lake or Reservoir in Idaho, in case you didn’t know. The hub and I share for each situation as well, and for good measure I pack one extra totaling 5 towels. Are we getting niddy-griddy or what? So that in the future of this post I don’t go into too much detail, I’ll say this now: Less is not more. Don’t be ill-prepared…it’ll make you less comfortable, or cold, or hungry, or ill. None of these are good. #notcampinggoals

Apparel…for everyone Because you know you’re packing the kids and husband too (I better not be the only wife that packs everyone, or else people are getting yelled at). I have “camping clothes” for each of us that stay on the RV. If you camp in a tent I recommend a large plastic tote for clothing storage.  Once it’s in your tent, you can stack stuff on top of it too, you got yourself a shelf. John and I each have a small closet and the kids have drawers and a cupboard each. We all have a waterproof vest, fleece, jacket, beanie, hat, sandals and boots stored. The kids have full-on outfits ready to go too since they are such growers and it just makes sense to put some of the outfits you know they’ll outgrow come fall on there. Remember changing into “play clothes” after school as a kid (maybe not, that’s fine) Well, play clothes = camping clothes. The kids each have some sunglasses stored too. I don’t want to pack ALL the things every time we camp and they have multiples of everything in their world because of sweet grandmas that buy them too much stuff.

In general, the things I pack in addition to what’s already ON include:

2 outfits per day for everyone (Layers, layers, layers)

2 jammies per night for kiddos (in case people pee through or something, who knows) They also love to be in footsie pajamas with crocks or tevas on over them for campfire/smore time. Do your thing weird children. An extra pair of jammies ensures that if they get dirty during this final portion of the day, they have a clean pair ready to go.  I don’t like dirty jammies (or feet) getting into beds. OCD mom. John and I can do just fine with way less than them. We don’t usually pee our pants or anything like that.

Camping swimsuits (think “play clothes” again) and I’ll admit- I pack cute swimsuits if we’re with friends and it doesn’t seem like too messy of a camping/swimming situation. C’mon I have really cute little girls, I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t show them off.

Like I mentioned before about crocs and tevas…have some sort of shoe that works in water for swimming/hiking around lakes etc. On this particular trip I think some galoshes would’ve been nice too! I have a pair of ridiculous looking sandals purchased at Boise’s Costco (because they know what’s up for every season and every area of your life) and they’re so practical and comfortable…I even wear them with wool socks in a group site scene. #whoamI?

The more you can have on your camper or in your bin, the easier each trip is. You can do your laundry when you get home and put it immediately back on/in.  It’s convenient if you’re willing to wear the same outfits on multiple trips. I’ll switch it up here and there but there’s enough to think about so keep it simple.

Which leads me to an important tip, let’s call it the 3rd one-

When you’re done camping (for RV owners) bring your camper home for 24 hours.  You can do any cleaning up you missed during the packing up phase (I clean inside while John does the outside stuff before we leave our site), you can throw on that load of laundry and put the dirty clothes back on clean for next time, slowly take off the food/drinks etc. If you have dishes you want to run through your dishwasher, you can do that too. Sometimes getting chili off a spoon is tough, ya know. This plan requires an early Monday morning (typically) drive to RV storage but your hub can do it on the way to work, he doesn’t mind.

4th- Dewinterize your RV if you live somewhere that has real winters. I don’t do this part and I don’t really care to have a conversation about it so I can learn….so I won’t go into detail. I know one thing- after winter the water comes out pink until you’ve run it for about a minute. And that’s the extent of my knowledge on this topic.

5th- Cooking: The more you can do outside, the better

We have a full kitchen and sometimes I use the oven to make “break and bake” chocolate chip cookies but for the most part, our kitchen is my dishes and coffee making station. We’re purists and love the process when it comes to coffee (without sounding like total hipsters) so I grind beans at home, pack a special Tupperware filled with those grinds, and use an AeroPress on our trip. We have travelers on the camper so that the delicious beverage stays warm if you drink it outside- although I tend to finish it inside, from a real big mug, while the kids play and Daddy makes breakfast. I prefer taking my mornings slow if you know what I mean.

WATER…bring lots of it. You know those orange construction site igloos? Get one of those, fill it up at home with ice and filtered water, put it outside on your fold out “prep” table (not the picnic table) and have all the hydration you need. We have water bottles on the camper to fill for hikes and of course cups to fill for drinking with meals, at the campsite. I have acrylic cups, plates and bowls so that they’re light but sturdy. You can find cute patterns and even wine glasses that’ll fit in your space and make you feel right at home-in the middle of nowhere.

For our outside cooking set up (an area for John, not me, I feed us Monday-Thursday so meals while camping are his thing and he’s great at it) Ooni Woodfire Pizza Oven which makes a mean homemade pizza and plenty of other things + Camp Chef 2 burner stove with skillet (because you know you’re making bacon on Saturday morning while camping). Between these two set ups- we’re set. We have a red copper pan, a large pot, sauce pan and colander inside and always stock up on spray oil (We like avocado, but there are plenty of choices and this isn’t a cooking post). I picked up a wooden spoon, spatulas, knives and tongs at Walmart and they live on the RV. I don’t care to pack (or let’s face it, forget)  all these things for all our trips.  Again, if tent camping, all this can be in a tote- along with one of those circular plastic bins (that had handballs in them at PE) for washing dishes! And most importantly-don’t forget your checkered vinyl table cloth and metal table cloth clips for your picnic table. I mean, are you really even camping without those? No, you aren’t.
Also- you think your kids ask for snacks often at home? Take them camping. 
BRING LOTS OF SNACKS.

6th- Keeping it clean

Large Astroturf  rug outside of your camper or tent, small rubber mat for wiping your feet at the steps of the door, and a cute “Welcome” mat for inside the door, along with the “No shoes inside” rule should help keep your sleeping area whether RV or tent as clean as possible. 
I mentioned our kids get baths, we have a unique shower/bath situation on our RV but even if you don’t, find a way to creatively bathe your kids. They’ll get calmed down at the end of the day and sleep better. Plus sometimes they're just gross. 
Some RV’s have an outdoor shower head that comes out of the rear (we use that bad boy often!) or you can use a second handball bin paired with a garden sprayer for a make shift tub.  If all else fails…baby wipes. Because baby wipes are magic.

There are plenty more areas to cover but since I’ve been working on this for a few weeks here and there, I think I'll call it here for now. Ya’ll know I’m not touching it tomorrow night- The Bachelorette is on, I’ll be very busy.


 Happy Camping (or Glamping)
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew