Skip to main content

People on Paper


As I attempt to survive this summer I find myself filling out lots and lots of paperwork.

There is the job application paperwork which includes things like name, address, previous address, address before your previous address, last 100 places you've worked and the skills you used at those places, references from people who cannot be related to you or know you on a professional level, personal level...or any other level...

Once you've gotten someone to hire you, you're called a "NEW HIRE." You have "New Hire" training, "New Hire" codes to get into buildings and of course "New Hire" packets of paperwork to fill out. This includes questions like, "During work hours, if you slip and crack your head open, do you want the option of seeing your own personal physician, or will you be okay seeing ours? I don't know, I'll be unconscious wasn't one of the options. Then of course there is the on going document called the resume. This is supposed to give a brief insight into who you are, where you've been and where you'd like to end up. If you want a job anywhere, a resume needs to be provided. I have a few. One is titled Teacher Resume, another Restaurant Resume and another (although it has never been successful in attaining a position) Office Jobs Resume...probably a disguised blessing, ADHD kid in a cubical has to be a recipe for disaster.

I've been thinking lately...What does all this paperwork have to say about who we are? If it's all supposed to tell some company why they should hire us, I'm pretty sure mine is failing...although I have nailed down some jobs, uh thank you very much. What I mean by failing is that it is not saying the greatest of things!
Think about it...

If the address/previous and even more previous address question is to establish that I'm established...au contraire! I have moved just about every year for the past 7 years, this includes stinky dorm halls. If anyone looked even a little deeper than that, in regards to this address inquiry, they would see that ya know what...I don't always pay rent on time. So as far as a prospective hire, you've got a flaky transient on your hands!

As far as the jobs/previous jobs/previous previous jobs question....how many families can one gal nanny for? Did she keep getting canned or what? (Of course not, although if families fired nannies for eating their Sun Chips and watching Sex and the City DVD's during nap time, I definitely would have been!)

It's starting to make sense that getting a job is all about knowing the right people. Knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone that can get you an interview is key. I mean, a sparkling personality is definitely going to win 'em over more than a document proving 24 years of instability, right!

I am thankful for all the people in the world who can see beyond paper!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Midnight Velvet

I recently noticed a catalogue that has been sent to my house. Either my roommate is a closet weirdo or I have a few questions for Mrs. Kilrain who lived here pre-November. Midnight Velvet carries many a product. They sell everything from wall sconses with engraved churchy sayings to "Chocolate Passion Powder" and crushed velvet jump suits. I immediately wonder what individual has needs for all of these products. hmm.