Skip to main content

Winter shopping

There's a reason this post is called "Winter shopping" instead of Christmas shopping. I'm not talking about shopping for Christmas gifts, I'm talking about shopping for myself during the Christmas season.

"How selfish" you say aloud. No, just honest. You do it too.

I have a problem (the depths of it I will not get into right now) that makes me think I have a surplus of money...when I almost never do. With the help of direct deposit and online banking, beginning at midnight on the 15th and 30th of each month, I can go on that world wide web and see 4 digits in my bank account balance instead of the usual 2-3, okay it can sometimes be 1 digit or many digits proceeding a negative sign but lets just say it's more than my standard amount for arguments' sake. I see that balance, which seems extremely high for someone who's survived on the wage of a private, anti-women being independent, Christian school before (again, we'll save that topic for a later time) and think that there is a never ending amount of funds for me to spend! Let's get something straight, I don't spend ridiculously, realistically about 90% of my "spending" is on a fun category in my budget called "bills/loans," thanks private university education!
Nonetheless, when I'm out and about shopping for Christmas gifts, with that crazy high balance in my head, I inevitably find a reason to purchase something for myself. Never anything too outlandish. My usual cap is a $30 fancy shirt, whoa! I can always come up with an excellent argument (argument with myself) for deserving something new for my closet...especially if it goes on my feet.

This particular week, the argument went something like this, "It's Christmas...and New Years! I have to have something cute (meaning new) to wear. Plus I've been working a lot lately. Like really a lot! I definitely deserve something. I mean some girls I know shop all the time! I'm really frugal when it comes down to it."

It worked.
I bought myself a little something, under the previously mentioned cap, and was so confident about the decision, I didn't even try it on. Because I'm becoming one of those people that doesn't leave OB, I of course shop here...which means that not only do most places only take cash, but they also don't do returns, only exchanges! Damn hippies.

So, after realizing my great decision did not fit as well as I'd hoped (Double D's can be a real joy kill) I had to exchange it. This is what led to trying on more clothing and my conclusion about winter shopping:

1. Nothing looks as good on pale skin as it does on bronze.
2. Those "treats" from students add up and hit places that are usually bundled up in leggings and long jackets. But oh how they are exposed in the confines of a dressing room with fluorescent lighting.
3. Dry skin is really pretty.
4. Sweaters aren't cozy. They're itchy. And why do all of them have fur inside all of the sudden? Some of us have higher body temperatures okay!
5. There's no better formula for getting extremely irritated than this one:

Buyers' remorse + cold outside + winter clothing on as I shop + hot inside store/dressing room + dissatisfaction with extra winter "coat" that's been sneakily added to my body + overly cheerful (and freakishly skinny) salesperson + the pressure of having to get something (that whole no return rule) + still not being done with/able to afford Christmas shopping, yet buying something for myself!


Is it Spring yet?

Comments

Rowdy said…
spring will bring swimsuit shopping.... are you ready for that?!?!?!

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew