Skip to main content

Tuesday night church social time

Breakthrough.

That's what occurred 48 hours ago...
Where you ask?
At Tuesday night church social time.

This is not the official name but I believe it is a descriptive one. This event is not just my "social time"...that time is not limited to one day a week, please. It's not just "church time" c'mon you know that's on Sundays! (Sundays when I'm up before 11am and decide to attend, oops). It is literally church social time, on Tuesday nights. *I must admit this particular pocket of social time is in fact limited to one night a week!

Some might say that the side of me that rises to the surface (like a volcanic, lava-y eruption, most Tuesday evenings post "church social time") is my cynical side. Actually...it's not cynicism...it's realism.

I don't think there are enough gigs or bites (or whatever!) on this site to go into great detail on the subject matter at hand. Nor do I have enough time before my 10pm scheduled slumber...a necessary evil due to an 11-year-old-filled-day partnered with "Ultimate Athlete Capture the Flag," a yoga sesh, some stir fry...and a few Coronas! That's neither here nor there. What I will say is that it is my realist side that thinks things like...

You don't really want to say the word "wonderful" over and over again do you?
Don't act like you didn't just look at my name tag!
Do we have to keep talking? You've dropped the "G word" and "awesome" three times EACH in the last 10 secs! I get it you're a nice Christian boy!
And.... scene.
(I'll stop there)

Why do I continue to attend you ask? Duh. Because I'm a nice Christian girl ;)

This week a breakthrough occurred. An authentic, just awkward enough, male/female interaction. After some non-cynicism-causing, intelligent conversation, the following was said in attempt to plan a night of co-ed cooking (don't give into the confusion, just assume this type of activity is normal for the sake of following the story):

"Yea I'll see you then! Bring your bReast recipe!"

"Excuse me?"
(Little does he know, most likely due to lack of experience, those things go EVERYWHERE with us! We don't have the option to not bring them!)

All kidding aside, as much as I can, the guy looking forward to my breast recipe laughed hysterically upon realizing his insertion of the unnecessary consonant! There were no red cheeks (aside from mine), but instead normal laughter appropriate for a like situation.

One small step for a Tuesday night church social group, one HUGE step for Christian mankind.

Comments

Rowdy said…
well, at least he appreciates what you have.... =)

Popular posts from this blog

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Midnight Velvet

I recently noticed a catalogue that has been sent to my house. Either my roommate is a closet weirdo or I have a few questions for Mrs. Kilrain who lived here pre-November. Midnight Velvet carries many a product. They sell everything from wall sconses with engraved churchy sayings to "Chocolate Passion Powder" and crushed velvet jump suits. I immediately wonder what individual has needs for all of these products. hmm.