Skip to main content

I'm kinda awkward

In the mere two weeks I've been on the job (the job with benies and a fabulous office space, that is) I've realized a few things. I'll keep all of the details confined to my "Reflective, get to know myself deeper" journal and simply say this...

I'm KINDA awkward

While I pride myself on having polished social skills (humor me) I have found that in a work setting, like a real work setting, I sorta struggle.
I can yuck it up all day with my fellow "assistant" level coworkers, but in conversation with the Steinbrenners of this place...this employee becomes awkwaaaaaaaaaard. It's as if I had sergeant-like parenting as a kid, leaving me intimidated by authority. So not the case. I mean, did YOU get to watch Melrose Place and Thirty Something at the age of nine? I think not.

Anyway, I become nervous that I'll say something inappropriate or idiotic (not that it's completely out of the realm of possibility) to my boss or others that share her professional standing.

In my awkwardness, for some reason beyond me, I continue to reference Larry David's hit (and what a hit it was) Seinfeld. It's like Dustin Hoffman's obsession with underwear from Kmart in Rain Man. Only my Kmart is a late 80's sitcom based on the life of a comedic Jew from New York. Not only do I verbally reference episodes of Seinfeld as if it's the norm that everyone else watches them over and over again on KTLA, but I also tap into these genius scenarios in the silence of my own head. Like right now as I write this blog (on "The Man's" time...and dime), I think about when George brags to Jerry about doing nothing at work all day, appearing busy only by acting pissed off. This behavior results in responses like, "You've been working too hard Costanza. You need some vacation time!" In my past job force years, non-office bound, I used to chalk this up to George's typical underachieving (since I'm totally besties with all the characters I know these quirks obvy). Today however, I might see the endless possibilities of getting away with personal tasks on company time. hmmm.

Alright, off to more productive things...like filling out my absentee ballot and paying my gas bill online.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Midnight Velvet

I recently noticed a catalogue that has been sent to my house. Either my roommate is a closet weirdo or I have a few questions for Mrs. Kilrain who lived here pre-November. Midnight Velvet carries many a product. They sell everything from wall sconses with engraved churchy sayings to "Chocolate Passion Powder" and crushed velvet jump suits. I immediately wonder what individual has needs for all of these products. hmm.