Skip to main content

Secret Crock Pot

As I've mentioned recently, I've been doing a little "labeling" around Blonde Story Short.  The funnest part about it (funnest not being a real word) is being reminded of what life was like up to six years ago and seeing the patterns throughout my stories.  One label that I couldn't help but create was titled "WHY?"

The WHY? posts typically centered around something ridiculous...spilling coffee directly onto the boobs on my way to tutor junior high boys, falling in the middle of a "dance circle" (while doing the "shopping cart"), things of that nature...feel free to check out the 12ish posts labeled WHY?  I have no idea how you do that, but I'm sure Blog spot has a tool for it.

Today, as I prepped my 10am morning snack, I like structure okay?, I asked myself this very broad question.  I cut up a half banana and already sliced apples (into now cubed apples) and wondered WHY eating these two half fruits together on a plate with a fork, made this snack taste better and feel even healthier. Hmmm.  Because I'm crazy.  That's why. My clever coworker asked if I cut that up for her 3-year old.

If doing something a little adolescent to your food makes you happy (and healthy), I say go for it.

The not-sliced-enough apples were in the mini gladware shown and the other
half of that banana is in a medium sized gladware in our staff refrigerator. Note: husbands
don't like half-bananas in the fridge at home.
Also pictured: Tall Iced Americano in a Grande cup
with extra ice and room for non-fat milk and 1/2 a packet of Raw Sugar.
I don't smoke cigarettes but I imagine the satisfaction of a couple puffs
pars 2-3 sips of espresso. It's go time.

Sometimes a good WHY? labeled post can overlap quite nicely with a "Tangent" post. Back in the day when blogging meant a school issued Netbook on my lap in the back of my Special Ed kids' Science class, I posted some pretty consistent "Tangent Tuesdays." Liking structure isn't a new thing for me.  Today the two definitely overlap.  The theme of this tangent...

MAN, I'M THANKFUL FOR MY JOB.

Last night I had the honor of hosting a little dinner party with my gals. We celebrated one gal in particular and in respect of her humble approach to life, I won't mention her name and all the details (How are we friends? Kidding).  Although it was Presidents' Day, I still had to go into the office. Since I'm being thankful right now I won't go into how badly I wished I had the day off like everyone else in Education world. I definitely could have used one more night in the beautiful Glorietta Bay, eating barbecued chicken, grilled asparagus and macaroni & cheese (we call it Romantic Boat food). Neither here nor there. Being at work all day meant only one thing in regards to the evening's event:  Slow cooking dinner in a crock pot...in the graduate student lounge/kitchen.

Except for checking on my creation every couple of hours (and telling the girls in the lunch room about it) no one knew a thing- except the 3rd floor cleaning lady.  Good thing we're cool. I've included the recipe below. Don't say I didn't warn you I had a tangent.



Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers:
Wash, seed and cut the top off of each pepper Get to work at 7am for this part
Fill peppers with doctored up rice and onion . You didn't think I'd prep at home did you?Sprinkle cheddar shred in the middle of the rice and on top This will need to brought to work in a mini gladware
Pour a little marinara on top and finish with more cheddar Homemade marinara is a new skill that makes me feel like I'm good at being a wife. My Sort-of-Recipe below.
Pour a little water in the bottom of the crock *My grandmother's crockpot is pictured, I always imagine a pot roast in there. That wasn't going to work for Monday night's crowd...some other time.
"Crock" on Low for 6 hours.  Then carry it down to the car at 5:00. I turned it back on when I got home for another two hours. You gotta give talking over wine and cheese the time it deserves!
Heat up remaining marinara and spread on a plate, place pepper on top, adding mixture of black beans and corn over the top and sides.
Cover with more marinara and grated fresh mozzarella. Doing this lastly, and with a handheld grater makes you look cool.  
Make sure you have your awesome friends bring over the bread, salad and 2nd (or 3rd?) bottle of wine.

Marinara: 2 Tbsp of Regular Tomato Paste, 1 Tbsp of Garlic Tomato Paste and water 
until the consistency is what you want.  It'll thicken as you stir over low heat.
Add all kinds of the following to taste- I don't do measurements of these things:
onion powder, garlic salt, cayenne, italian seasoning, oregano, black pepper, 
just enough sugar to cut down on tomatoey-ness. I don't consider myself a "cook" because I say "tomatoeyness."
*I made this batch rather spicy because this was a vegetarian dish and I didn't have the option of seasoning meat. Typically I would use ground turkey.

ALL THAT to say, if I worked somewhere weird, I'd probably get into some kind of trouble for taking over the kitchen, plugging in the old crock and goin to town. 

I'm thankful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew