Skip to main content

Valentine's Day

I'm really torn about where to go on this one.

HAPPY, CRAFTY Valentine's post? 

Super cute FREE Valentine Printables and Heart Candy Jar Tutorial at the36thavenue.com Pin it now and make them later! #valentines
I DIDN'T MAKE HEART SHAPED pancakes either Valentine's post?

Let's just see where we end up.

There is so much one could do to celebrate Valentine's Day, every other holiday, milestones, friendships, pretty much anything... One word sufficiently explains exactly what I'm talking about- Pinterest.  

I dare you to go on Pinterest, especially around a holiday, and not end up feeling like a total shmuck when you eventually "X" out of the page. I'm sort of kidding, but not really.  I usually start off totally pumped and pretending that I have time to go to "Michael's" for project materials. Is that where people go for project materials?  I honestly have NO idea. 
Please don't misunderstand my opinion of Pinterest.  I literally go on every other day and love it. I use it mostly for inspiration since I likely won't do exactly what it says, for example if I don't already have twine at home, a twine substitution will be made. I'm SO down with Pinterest, but, like anything, perspective is key...and not feeling too shmucky is also imperative.

I've been carrying around a mason jar, pink ribbon and scraps of old cards for about a week now (these things don't hang out in my purse or anything, I have a Hawaiian Trader Joes bag for them). My current To-Do's include a Valentine's Day care package for College kid, a sweet gift for High School kid, and something small yet creative for work friends. Luckily husband isn't a real craft enthusiast so not a lot of pressure there. Of course I had hopes of doing something ultra cute with my re-gifted mason jar *When I received it, it had every ingredient needed for a vat of vegetarian chilli, obviously. The millions of creative minds on Pinterest tell me that a mason jar styled Valentines gift would be just right! All I need is some material, new ribbon (mine's not checkered or striped), some kind of paint?, and a clever printable. If I did do something with this jar, it would be as easy as filling it up with on-sale candy and tying on a reused ribbon, Ta Daaaa! I pride myself, perhaps inappropriately, on coming up with inexpensive and resourceful ideas for gifts and even cards. In the interest of keeping some perspective, I think to myself:

-College kid's package is being sent, not paying extra to ship something "fragile."
-High School kid doesn't care about what the candy comes in.  Just give her the candy.  Also, she doesn't like M & M's. 
-I don't have material lying around and don't really want to figure out how to paint that (amazing) heart on the jar.
-There's no way I'm giving that jar to someone outside of my immediate family.  That would mean there's NO chance of the jar being used again and...it's not even Christmas! A simple valentine for everyone else should be sufficient.

What college kid really wants....is exactly what I mailed her this afternoon.  It was NOT Pinterest-worthy, but I know she'll love it.
Body wash, her favorite candy that was ALREADY in the shape of a heart,
a new pink tank, a girly CD, a Valentine's kitchen towel
and a store bought card from her fam. Credits to Postal
Annex in Mission Valley for the hip envelope.


Work friends love me and I love them. We literally write each other emails that say "I love us." Ridiculous. They will be just fine with a printed out "printable" attached to an Almond Roca (so good and .99 at Vons). Having a color printer and a decent paper cutter available on your "Morning 15" is quite nice.

I know what you're thinking, Man does she have her finger on the pulse or what?  "Woodland" is so IN. I actually have a very IN friend who themed her son's nursery "woodland." He's almost 2 now.  Keeping it current over here. 

For those of you that aren't preoccupied with mediocre crafts, perhaps the pressure you are feeling is related to your LOVE life instead. You're married and feeling like you have to do something elaborate and therefore expensive, you're not married/in a relationship and think if you were you would be doing something elaborate and therefore expensive, whatever the case may be, it's just another day. I've spent many a February 14th's at home, without a "valentine" and to be quite honest, I don't really remember the ones with a valentine much more.  They're all sort of a big pink fog. Long story short, enjoy the day like you would any other Friday- looking forward to 5:00 and a glass of wine. 

Happy Valentine's Day...and just do what you can!

XO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew