Skip to main content

Beach Day-a word to the wise

Let’s start off by making sure you know there’s a rando kid right behind my head screaming because she has to wear a life vest. I mean, no judging her mom at all because we’ve all been there, like 15 minutes ago, but maybe she can go just a little further away from my beach blanket???

Instead of being rude (outwardly) I offer Mom, who is now definitely right behind me, a bribing tool from our big 'ol bag. I can’t imagine this suggestion being taken as anything but helpful being that these cookies don’t even contain gluten. You’re welcome.  I even level with her by throwing out a “we totally hit Fred Meyer on the way!” Lord knows I'm not trying to make her feel even worse by downplaying the amount of goodies she may have on hand. Also, if you don’t know about Freddy’s well, you are missing this reference completely.
Note: I think it's important to say...even if someone's kid is annoying (because they totally are sometimes) be as kind and sensitive to their parent as humanly possible. They don't need more flack from another human, especially one that's big enough to know better.

I pulled out the phone for a quick stab at this post after realizing that, except for a helpful husband and trusty red fold up wagon, I have everything needed for a successful “beach” trip today right here in my oversized San Francisco Giants bag. When I pretend to care about sports I am a Giants and 49ers fan, mostly because I’m a really nice wife...Unless I’m with my family of origin- then it’s Go Dodgers! I told you I don’t really care. Anyway,  the beauty of today is that we weren’t actually planning to come to the "beach" until minutes before leaving the house. FYI I live in Idaho and this former Southern Californian can’t bring herself to call something that’s not a beach, a beach. I do believe locations like the one at which we’re enjoying ourselves today are  just as fun...and without a doubt, 100% more convenient. Sorry not sorry.

The Giant(s) bag I reference is filled to the brim with some key successful outing items, let's break them down shall we?



Drinks other than regular water + regular water
My husband calls that blue Thermoflask my "bubba" 'cause I carry it around like a little baby. I like cold water, okay? I got it in a 2-pack at Costco and it's a pretend "Hydroflask." If I were super legit blogger mom one of two things would happen right now (or maybe both things would happen) 1. A Hydroflask rep would be like, "...oh you need to try a REAL one...what's your address?" OR Costco would hit me up and be like, "You LOVE all our products that we bite off other more expensive brands, do you want to be on the cover of Costco Connection next month?" Both I would accept with grace and poise...I think I'd prefer the notoriety on one of my favorite publications though, hmmm.

The other irregular water drink is what my children call "lemonade." They think it's real lemonade and once again, I'm pretending something is the real deal, and it's not. Totally fine with this. They think Seltzer is soda too- fantastic. Inside my insulated grocery bag (more on that later, although it's pretty straight forward) is an iced tea for me. Caffeine is important when you're playing lifeguard and snack hag all at the same time. My unsweetened black tea is made by Pure Leaf, in case they're reading this right now.

I bring the kids their own water bottles (Contigo's which once again, Costco sells) but they drink mine anyway. I try to keep backwash out of my life but I fail, hard.

Hot and Cold Insulated Bag
I leave this little puppy in my trunk because I may need to stop somewhere between grocery shopping and home AND it fits in my beach bag.
I just realized this topic might be utterly uninteresting. Welp, we've come this far, let's finish 'er.

Plastic Bag
We don't pay 10 cents for these here, but even if we did they're worth it. Some of us use these for trash (ground breaking I know).  Leave one in your big bag..and then your trash doesn't comingle with your...non trash. Wow, this chick is clever.

Cheap sunglasses...
that won't be ruined, crushed or left for dead after a day with children at the "beach." On days like today, Ray Bans don't leave their case, or my front seat. And that's how I roll.  

Cute kid's hat (for Charlotte)
that she won't wear for longer than 5 minutes

Cute kid's sunglasses
(see above)

Beach Blanket
One that you don't care about otherwise every time wet sandy feet stomp all over it (2 year olds) you'll cringe.  This particular pick has Paw Patrol pals on it. So...I kinda hope it gets ruined.

Beach Towel
Duh.

Keys to your new "Sport Wagon"
Yea, I went there. At some point in life I may write a real review on the vehicle I now drive, because I. Love. it. Oh the trunk space, unreal. And so zippy.

I'm pretty obsessed with our Radio Flyer fold up wagon for almost any kind of summery day.  Getting out the door quickly this morning was more of a priority and when I have to, I can totally handle carrying my giant Giants bag sans wagon assistance.  Having the option of pulling all your crap and two tired kids behind you IS pretty great though- I did it yesterday. Also, that wagon is from Costco. Weird.

If you want to know about the sunscreen we used or the *Lunchables my kids picked out, totally DM me. I'm kidding. I don't even know what that means, saying it just felt right.
Lunchables are filled with nitrates and gluten, and the big time ones even include a Capri Sun and gummy worms. So if you were looking to judge me as a mother and hadn't had a chance yet, now is the time. I ate Lunchables as a kid and grew into a healthy adult, I figure a couple of these a year won't harm them too badly. 




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew