Skip to main content

Bribery, Trickery, Manipulation...all in a day's work

The two babes and I have been home with colds all week.  Leading up to the Monday morning cough, sore throat and runny nose, we had cautiously stayed in all weekend for other reasons...Protective husband did the Costco and grocery store run to stock up (before the massive raid on toilet paper) and we kept our kiddos clean and at home. If you're reading this post at a later date, we're in the midst of the Corona Virus frenzy at the moment. Our household lands somewhere in between "The world is going to end" and "We're going to do whatever we want because this is all a sham." And that's my summary of the extremes I see on social media. 

With all that, I've been home for seven (7!) days straight.

Whenever I'm forced to stay in with the kids for any length of time (because I refuse to be the mom in the Chik Fil-A play area with a snot dripping kid. Yuck) I end up feeling a lot of emotions. Some include but aren't even close to being limited to:

I miss.adults.so.much.
I really wish I could make out with my husband (we make a huge effort to keep him healthy,  somebody's gotta make money around here)
I need my SOUL fed...need to pray, be creative, connect, WRITE.

So today...here I am.

I'm finally feeling a WIN on this Friday morning. Well, I haven't lost my cool at all this week with the girls (unless it happened under the influence of cold meds and I'm forgetting) so this is actually  the second victory if I'm giving myself the credit I deserve.

Today is the first day Charlotte is heading back to preschool. I've been watching this child all morning and I KNOW she is feeling well enough. And while she begged me to attend on the two other designated preschool days this week, she is wining about wanting to stay home today. She's pretty smart and says things like, "But I wanna be with YOU"...ya know, all the things that make a mama swoon.

Today happens to be "Dress as your favorite Character" day, the final dress up day of "Dr. Seuss Week." I had lots of ideas once I realized yesterday that we had a creative opportunity in the 24 hours ahead. However I made the mistake of fighting two battles at once...go to school AND dress up. Clearly a bad idea since little girl woke up with a bad attitude.  I don't think I'm supposed to use the word "bad" ever in reference to my child (???) so, she had a poor attitude. 

Then it hit me, in the middle of a high ponytail and concealer application (it's Friday so I'm givin' it all I got obviously)...CINDY LOU WHO.

Little Cindy wears pajamas in one of her famous scenes, catching the Grinch on Christmas Eve. HELLO!

So guess what 5 year old found her way to school in footsie jammies, slippers and a bath robe.  That's right.

I win TWICE! If you're picturing Lotte with multiple funky braids and exaggerated teeth, you're out of your mind. I don't think she's winning any contests today. But, good enough for 'ol mom!

Ok, I'll share victory #3 (all within a 45 minute period. I mean, WOW)
I may have conditioned my kids to expect Disney soundtracks in my car.  Don't tell them, but it's kinda for my benefit. The Little Mermaid is secretly still my favorite movie. All three of us have our preferences (Moana please! what?) and little Bailey loves her some "Rapunzel" aka "Tangled." For those of you in the know, and if you aren't I highly recommend studying up, Mandy Moore is the voice of Rapunzel. Aaaaand she's one of my heroes. in life.

Mandy has a new album and Spotify, so clever, recommended it to yours truly. 

"You want Rapunzel, Bay? Listen to this new song she's singing! Wow, it's so good! Do you like it?!"

"Yea!"

Uh Thank you...

Let me know if you'd like me to be your personal Mom-Consultant.  I can send you my rates.

TGIF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew