Skip to main content

Mind Blowing








Just go reheat that coffee for GOODNESS sake!
Me reminding myself to try to enjoy life a little.
This is a rough time.

And I could start a post with those three sentences any Friday of the year, but particularly right now...this is a rough time.

The struggle (sometimes TOTAL struggle, depending on the hour and minute) of staying home is of MINOR importance during a time like this, during any time really.  Let's get REAL, for most of us, life is good.  Really good.

There are families suffering right now, and not just the elderly members of them. I won't go off on how frustrating it is to hear people lessen the severity of this because it's "just affecting older people." That's 1. Incorrect and 2. Unbelievably disrespectful
*If you're lucky enough to have a Grandma or Grandpa still, or anyone in your life that's old enough to be considered "old" be thankful, then CALL them and check in. NOW.

The current swing of Social Media on Corona Virus (it feels ICKY to even write out the word by the way) is equal parts ironic meme and complete terror. Now that I've got you wondering which direction this will go...

Let's keep it light.

Inconsequential Tips while your kids are home with you 100% of the time in the next who knows how many weeks:

1) Stick their little buns in the bathtub with as many toys that'll fit, every time they ask for a bath.  I realize the children of the world are all different so maybe that isn't a request at your house. Try it anyway.  Maybe one kid at a time. Usually my little one gets in there and after some squeals of excitement (having non-bath toys in the bath IS pretty outstanding, you're welcome), the big one joins her.

2) As aforementioned, just go back to the kitchen and reheat your coffee.  It's already been sitting long enough to have a hint of sour, but does it need to be cold too? You working hard and you deserve this. 

3) Even if you aren't CRAFTY MOM...throw down some plastic spoons, glue and random junk, and tell them to make a "Forky." If you think I'm the visionary behind this character, you need to watch Toy Story 4 immediately.  This will take up 2 hours of your day so...

Image result for Forky

4) Speaking of watching something. 
      DISNEY +
      Right now. 
      Get Disney +

5) If the bath thing was disastrous, maybe you're taking these to heart IN ORDER, throw some tea party toys in your shower, and let the kids play.  You probably could use a shower anyway whether it's for your hygiene or blood pressure. If this is the first shower experience with a child of the opposite gender, go ahead and make the time pass by explaining some things. Have fun.

6) Order a few open-activity items online. Amazon is taking longer than usual to ship but you'll have something to look forward to.  I ordered Tracing paper, the first two books of the Narnia series (I went to a Christian university and majorly drink the C.S. Lewis Kool aid) and some paint sets. The first two came yesterday so we've been tracing book covers this morning, in addition to Forky making obviously. I tried to fulfill an adolescent dream before last night's bedtime, with reading the first chapter of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe to my children by the fireplace. Let's just say it's a good thing the chapters are short. We're going to keep at it. Because...these kids need to throw Mom a bone every now and then.

7) Find a way to work out and if you're an Extrovert, make it feel like you're doing it with people. I downloaded a free app (FitOn) with streamed videos/trainers. For me, that's better than following a list of "reps" or something I'm supposed to do on my own. Exercise seriously makes me nicer, and duh, it's good for you.  If I can work hard enough to get my blood flowing and put a little red in my cheeks (super white girl issues), I'm just a better person for it.

8) Use what you've got instead of going to the store, OR making your husband go all the time. I mean, he should probably stay safe too don't you think? I come back to the tricking of the children here...yesterday, they thought they were eating bacon (everyone loves bacon) but guess what? It was Prosciutto, heated up in the cast iron. Booya. I'll give another example since these are things Moms nerd out on (sometimes they talk about sales around town too. That's when I make my exit. I just can't)...The girls are usually against Mixed Nut Butter/any kind of Butter that's not made solely from peanuts and since we're almost out...they ate "Nut Dip." Ok I think a new name is order. Anyway, I added some honey and cinnamon, put it in a fancy bowl surrounded by apple slices and guess what... TRICKED.

9) Forts. Build one. Sit in one. Watch a movie from one. Puts some snacks in one. Enjoy a fort.

10) Stuffed Animal Rainstorm Situation. Throw them all from upstairs to downstairs (try not to hit any fixtures, or children). Then...play with those stuffed animals. This is about as creative as my "chase your kids with a vacuum" tip. You don't have to be a genius to make this work.  Pretend you are 5 years old and take it from there. 

There are MANY more mind blowing things happening in this house.  I'll share when I can.

Now, Go wash your hands.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew