Skip to main content

Sometimes...

you gotta bend the rules...live on the edge...shake things up...stop at Starbucks even though you're running late.

It was one of those wild days with all the bending, living, shaking, and stopping.

I find that when my week is wild, I must be the yin to its yang, planning accordingly, thinking ahead, all those totally unnatural, inorganic things. For starters, my electricity was shut off for 3 days, not because I forgot to pay the bill, but because my landlord is in fact a drug lord...one that does things that make no sense whatsoever and make you wonder, "Is she on DRUGS!?!" The answer is Yes. Yes she is on drugs. It happens to be one of those situations where in a "let me share my wisdom with you" sorta tone you explain out loud, "Ya know...ya just gotta pick your battles sometimes." With our apartment building being converted into condos, there is much to do, at least for Bob and George the maintenance men. Drug lord thinks it is acceptable to turn off the electricity, even though codes upon codes which the other aggressive female in my building and I have diplomatically shared with DL say she CANNOT. You can look it up, it's dually noted! This may seem like a small inconvenience, so you have to couch surf for a few nights, get over it Princess! To that I say Nay, take into consideration that without electricity there is no power to run your fridge, hot water, etcetra etcetra! See where this is going? As if I showered enough WITH the luxury of hot water!

Acting as the yin, I prepared my lunches for the entire week to take to work early Monday morning, and packed up the perishable grocery items I'd need for two significant reasons: 1) So that I didn't mentally freak out in regards to wasting food, and money in a less direct sense and 2) So that I didn't eat dirty burritos every night away from my kitchen, stayin the course on the health nut kick. I arrived to work early every day this week, prepared with the standard day's materials (laptop bag that makes me appear totally legit AND 10 lb. black hole I call a purse) along with the many, many items needed for my latest work task...involving but certainly not limited to raising enough funds for 17 middle school girls to very practically learn yoga, art and writing.

All this on-top-of-everythingness left me jonesin' for some rule bending, edge living, things shaking upward behavior. After my morning meeting, I left campus to gas up the 8 passenger van I'd used the night prior for said fundraiser. I knew in my gut (which is getting smaller by the way) that I did NOT have time to...do anything really, before my 9:15 commitment to a coworker.

So...in the spirit of logic, I stopped at Starbucks. You might ask, "What is wrong with you" or maybe, "What's your deal?" (to sound a little less judgey). My DEAL is that I'm a WILD thang! You never know when an Americano/Bran muffin combination is going to be interceding in my plans, baby! There's just no tellin'.

Did it all work out? At the end of the day, it did. Did I rush inside flustered to find waiting coworker peeved and quasi-yelling at me? Eventually I did....

But not before the satisfying taste of espresso on my tongue.

Wild Thang.

Comments

Rowdy said…
Born to be Mild...........

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew