Skip to main content

In the bathroom at work

I've mentioned before that I'm just not that creative...not even close to some women I know (in person or in blog). Maybe someday I'll be really good at arranging flowers and using a sewing machine, without hurting myself...or getting bored.  Today isn't that day.

I do seem to be getting a little more creative (even getting better perhaps) with putting together an outfit.  Most of my creations happen Monday through Friday for work. Being a non-teacher these days has definitely helped this area of my life. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of stylish and adorable teachers. But when I taught, I scanned the scene and quickly realized putting in a mere 10-20% effort into my style met all necessary expectations. I think we were all just really tired most of the time. 

I also attribute motivation in this area of my life to my teeny-boppers at home. I want my girls to see that the way a woman presents herself is important....and I really like it when I wear something cute and they compliment me (motivation much?).

With age (I'm allowed to say that at 29 right?) I've gotten more comfortable with taking risks. We don't each have to have one particular look. Sure, when I lived in OB, bo-ho dresses seemed like the end-all-be-all, but why? I do still love that hippie style and you better believe I'll own my deep-v-paisley-maxi until the day I die. But I also obsess over just about anything from JCrew, feminine & cute outerwear and most of Gwen Stefani's wardrobe...why not try bits of it all (except parachute pants, I just won't wear parachute pants). 

What's most important to me is to be able to do A LOT of things within the confines of my closet, and with a few new pieces here and there.  "Here and there" is best for everyone. Lucky for my husband I don't see shopping as a high enough priority to fit it into my schedule very often. So, creativity is a must. Of course being "creative" is completely relative.  For me, it can be as simple as NOT matching. "But I'm an 80's baby and we always match! It all started with our coordinated slouchy socks and LA gear shoelaces!" This is what goes through my head.  I fight it.  I fight it hard.

Below isn't my ultimate favorite combo, but is one that reminds me it's okay to get "creative." Secret:  I think my "Fall bangs" may have liberated me to some degree.

I bought this silk yellow shirt at Banana Republic's summer sale.  Since it's been almost 80 degrees in San Diego, I don't feel weird about wearing it in January. Everything in me wants to limit this shirt to being worn with jeans and silver hoops.
Truthfully I feel a little too much like Batman when I wear it with black but again, I fight... and throw on a colored necklace.  Batman would never do that.

Since blogging is not my full time job, I quickly took these pictures in the bathroom at work (I should probably be embarrassed by this). You can't see my black capris but I am holding up just one of my pointy black pumps (I stood like a flamingo and did not touch the ground with my bare foot, let's just get that out of the way). If I were a "style blogger" I might say having a pair of pointy toed black shoes should be some type of rule or something (I might also be cooler).  I am so due for a new pair...but still wear these because they're black and no one is looking that closely. Quick note: In two years I've gone through two nude pointy toed's...they go with EVERYTHING. Anything that goes with everything = good in my opinion.

Most of you are WAY more in tune with fashion than I, but perhaps there are some that also struggle with playing it too safe. I say, take a peek in your closet and your jewelry box and see what kind of funky combo you can come up with.  *A stylist would never write "funky combo."  I give up.

Speaking of closets...check out how far I've come! My closet is now on land & much bigger.



Comments

Hi Sara! It's been like over a decade! LOL! Good to see you here on your blog. I just stumbled upon it and I love it! I love your voice! You're so witty and adorable! I started a blog in June and I am just trying to get it off of the ground. It is so much work, but I see that you have been blogging for years now! That's amazing! How are you??

Popular posts from this blog

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew