Skip to main content

Sometimes it's just a yoga mat.


So we've all heard cliches like "Spring has sprung" and "Love is in the air..." Well this past Spring both of these were particularly true! As I was packin it through Europe, THREE of the many amazing women in my life fell in love and basically met...(another cliche is about to come at you) the man of their dreams. I know, some of you are about to go throw up your last meal right now but if I can be totally stoked about this (as a former cynic) you can too :)
This particular story (which clearly has something to do with a yoga mat) is about one of these girls. Her and I have spent some years comparing past bf's, sharing stories of ridiculous encounters and sometimes when feeling optimistic, hopes of someday meeting a real man that would actually be legitimate. This friend is unique, smart and beautiful. Because she loves the color green, we'll call her "Miss Green." This is mostly so that you don't have to read the words "my friend" a thousand times, and "Miss Green's" identity won't be exposed!
Miss Green is dating (and in my expert opinion will end up marrying) a fabulous man-that's right man, not boy- who has gorgeous blue eyes...named "Mr. Blue." Mr. Blue is pretty much a stud and knows how to treat Miss Green better than what she could've ever imagined! Miss Green's friends have granted the stamp of approval. One Wednesday afternoon the sweet and thoughtful Mr. Blue called up Miss Green and told her he had a present for her and could not wait to see her. Because of their schedules, and Miss Green's very important yoga commitment that evening with yours truly, they wouldn't see each other until the next day. As most of us tend to do when we have a fun surprise for someone we love, Mr. Blue build that baby up! Saying things like "you're gonna love it!" and "it could've been really useful today, I wish I could've given it to you today" gave Miss Green ammunition to let her mind wander...what could it be and why would it have been better to have today? She also thought to herself, "Dang, my bf is the bomb" (I added that part in but I'm sure it ran through her mind at some point).  The only thing she could think of that she was doing on that Wednesday was having a phone interview for a perspective job...on her ghetto and almost non-functioning phone. A light bulb went on...Mr. Blue, having great technological taste had an iphone and must have gotten Miss Green one of those bad boys too! As she began to pry, asking questions like, "where'd you get this surprise?" her idea had now become a reality. Mr. Blue answered, "...my roommate, he got a new one and had an extra one, I knew you could use it." Miss G's mind continued to fantasize for 24 hours and she had decided beyond a doubt that Mr. B's roomie, who also had an iphone had to have gotten a new one (since there's practically an upgraded version out every month)and now her bomb.com boyfriend had asked for Roomie's old iphone to rescue his beloved from a 1990's cell phone. Thursday finally came and Mr. B arrived on Miss G's doorstep. He looked stylish as always and had a strangely large, white cylinder in arms.
"Hi!(excited) What is that? (perplexed)"
"Open it! It's your surprise!"
"For real?" Miss G thought. Maybe the iphone was wrapped up in this white thing that appeared to be a yoga mat.
"I know you love going to yoga every week! Don't you love it?"
As Miss G unrolled the yoga mat completely, she realized this was no standard yoga mat. It was a yoga mat promoting a seemingly asian, Soy Protein bar company Called SOYJOY! Now as she stood in her "downward dog" or kneeled in "child's play" she could enjoy little japanese children playing (or perhaps exercising, she's still not sure what they're doing) and a delicious looking protein bar with large letters that read SOYJOY! How thoughtful Mr. Blue was for thinking of her and her weekly hobby.
After laughing about this the next week at yoga, we realized that this was a very important lesson...
Even with the perfect man (like Mr. Blue), sometimes it's just a yoga mat...not an iphone, and that's okay. Besides who doesn't love little japanese kids and soy?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew