Skip to main content

Makin' it Work

One of my mottos in life ("mantras" if your verbiage is cooler than mine) is Make it Work. I attribute this one to my mother, who is the ultimate make-it-worker. As a single mom she did just this! I spent a lot of time, especially in high school, doing a LOT of stuff.  Most if not all of my activities made my mom's time, money and "rides" a must. Side note: Now that I have teens, it is very apparent to me that they never say "Can you drive me..." they always say "Can I get a ride..."  "Heidi needs a ride..." "Can we give Nick a ride...." (profound observation from yours truly.  Another quasi obvious one: they say "I was all like" every time they quote themselves) More on teenagers later...and I used to think I wanted to write a book on being a bridesmaid. This material grows by the day!

Making it work means being flexible and staying positive. If you went to PLNU or perhaps another institution that focused on "the whole student," you just might know your Top 5 Strengths.  Well, my #2 Strength (in descending order naturally) is Positivity.  Positivity is not actually a word, though its meaning is probably pretty clear, even to the virgin-Strengths-Quester.

Things just do not work (not well at least) if attitude falls apart the minute things become inconvenient, out of the ordinary or just simply unplanned. Positivity and flexibility in these situations makes things much easier...especially for those around you (and maybe even your husband as just a random example).  See what I just did there?  I pointed out that my awesome attitude improves my husband's life.  We'll see if he agrees when he gives me his feedback on this post later.  

Lately things have been just a bit hectic.  Every evening necessitates a planning pow-wow of sorts for the following day.  Who is going where?  Making dinner? Getting a "ride?"  I am the one needing rides here recently.  I could be bothered daily by this short period of time that I'm without my own ride or I can just make it work. Aside from the semi-weekly, casual check-in on the situation (always subtle), I think I'm doing a decent job. I'll probably get some feedback on that later too.  I choose to be flexible and in this situation, focus on the following:

Even though I'm forced to get up earlier when my early bird leaves in the morning- I make it advantageous by either:
1. Using the time to workout buildingside before I get ready and enter my office (see This is how we do it and ridiculous photo below) or
2. Minimizing the morning tasks at home (ultimate goal always being to sleep a little longer) by doing my makeup in the car and preparing my oatmeal on the clock, without a secret crock pot.


7:15 stretching on the stairs before circuit/work day.  The 8 fwy is underneath those capris

Preparation is of course another key component in making things work (My #1 Strength, since you're wondering, is Strategic. Quick reminder that these are not self-appointed). Leaving the house in workout gear means the day's pencil skirt, blouse, cami, heels and bra are ready to go and in my backpack.  Did I mention that I really love my backpack?  It's from Costco.  I really love Costco. Naturally the makeup bag and a couple bobby pins for taming my beastly mane already live inside the backpack.


More preparedness (or strategery, if you will) for this particular lesson in Makin' it work...
Sure I can thank the staff lounge for the paper goods, spork and individual creamer,
But the Honey Bear and cinnamon from my desk drawer...that was no accident.


And speaking of hair...what?  It's a no brainer that being flexible, positive, and prepared are all vital when it comes to a gal's hair.  Makin' it work in regards to the hair today meant finding a way to get it professionally under control for under 50 bucks! Ladies you know what a mountain this is to climb. I won't go into all the details but let's just say taking advantage of a "Refer a Friend" coupon and a captive email audience saved this blonde some dough.  I have kiddos that need all sorts of things these days, leaving an overdue cut and colour off the list of priorities by just a smidge.  So maybe a little creativity is also necessary for makin' it work?

(insert life lesson music from "Full House" here)
I think one of life's biggest tricks is making you think that everyone else's (or maybe just your perfect facebook friend's) life is easier and better than yours.  I am realistic enough to know that my life will pretty much only be smooth sailing on Sunday afternoons...and days when I pretend to be sick (then return to work with a sunburn. oops).  There will always be more wants than haves and less time than there are tasks to accomplish. Do what you can. Make the best of it and make it work. Attitude is everything (this is a real quote).  You can "Google image" it and come up with this modern gem...


And just a few footnotes before I hit Publish:
I should make it known that I believe there are times and places when you should NOT make it work. If you find yourself in a relationship with a total jabrone, stop trying so hard...and get outta there, fast.  If you just served your family a turkey and black bean "burrito" with cherry tomatoes on the side (obligatory dinner vegetable), stop trying to make what's in the fridge "work" and go grocery shopping.  This just got personal.

Final and somewhat related quote: 
"Who's got it better than us??? 
Nobody!!!!"
Can you name the hunk who said it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Midnight Velvet

I recently noticed a catalogue that has been sent to my house. Either my roommate is a closet weirdo or I have a few questions for Mrs. Kilrain who lived here pre-November. Midnight Velvet carries many a product. They sell everything from wall sconses with engraved churchy sayings to "Chocolate Passion Powder" and crushed velvet jump suits. I immediately wonder what individual has needs for all of these products. hmm.