Skip to main content

How do I do that???


So I've been recently working on being ME all the time...one of my many "Self-Improvement in the mid twenties-isms" I'm really good at being ME most of the time, but would LOVE to be one of those extremely confident and secure women who is just herself in every given situation...all instead of most of the time!

There are times when I definitely hold back and it's generally because of the company I'm in at that given moment. The funny thing is it's an epic battle internally to hold back because my natural inclination is to give my all, all the time, with relationships especially (By the way, I HATE when people say exspecially, there's no X! Don't mind my tangent)

Anyway, I have talked to many wise people, females in particular, who have helped me realize that my normal state and being is very vulnerable and it's a balancing act to be who I naturally am and keep my heart safe. I generally do and say things in a way that make who I am very much exposed to pretty much whoever is listening. The problem is: not everyone I come in contact with is safe for exposure...if ya catch my drift. There are people that have and will in the future take advantage of the vulnerability, use tid bits, or massive bits for that matter, of information against you, or even pull back themselves because your raw self is TOO MUCH!

I'm trying to be myself all the time, which is as aforementioned vulnerable, but I'm supposed to be smart in who I'm vulnerable with...How do I do that???

I don't want to be one of those people, especially one of those christian people, who only associates with "like minded" people...or for lack of a better term, people that are pretty much clones of themselves. I want to be open to knowing people of all different walks and being known by them as well. I want to show who I really am and be ME all the time, without hesitation. I'm thinking it's an issue for more than just myself, but am wondering how many people are actually aware of this balancing act...of their actions and hesitations around certain individuals, or maybe even people in general.

So I guess it's all "hands-on learning" just like teaching kids. We're supposed to learn by doing and being in situations that test all of this stuff. Taking each conversation and each relationship as it comes, being genuinely ME (or YOU) and being just so slightly on guard that we're aware when red flags are put up and people are displaying signs, or clues as I like to call them, that they aren't safe territory or maybe even capable of REAL PEOPLE and REAL-NESS.

I think this is the whole point. Figuring out how to love people...without tremendously hurting ourselves in the process.

Chew on that.............................................and on a lighter note, Happy Hump Day!

Comments

Karen Carter said…
Ok three key points here! #1 I am so much like you its scary. And I remember my mom telling me the scripture "not to cast your pearls before swine" sometimes we are such a open book but not everyone is after your best interest. #2 She also taught me to "be you, but be you for the Lord' I always wanted to be the spiritual lady at bible study with the sweet voice and quiet spirit. Well I am SO NOT! And I am glad to have learned that we all cant be spiritual cream puffs. I am still loud, open, opiniated, but I love the Lord! I hope this makes sense. Its so much easier to speak my thoughts. You just be "SARA fabulous" and dont be anything else! #3 You bet its you I gave that shout out to! I am stoked to have you as a reader and I will sure always read yours. And yes I do hope you can hear me cheeing! xoxo Karen~
Rowdy said…
i'm just confused now.........
Rowdy said…
best discussed through email.

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew