Skip to main content

All this "rain" gave me a rash!


So I have a few modows in life-not to be confused with cliches, I'm so against cliches. One of the many modows (some of which can also be considered blanket statements) is "When it rains...it pours!"

I often use this one in reference to my love life. Although it can seem like a drawn out drought, when it comes to dating...when it rains it pours!

So this week, I played the role of a pursuee. (Note: I use the word "pursue" and it's noun forms loosely and mostly because the word "prospect" sounds a little demeaning.) Not only 1,2, or 3, but FOUR pursuers were involved in this version of Sara Hates Dating. I hate dating for many reasons which include but are not limited to words like awkward, uncomfortable and Is anybody else watching this?! These feelings of mine will be described in detail in a later blog entry I'm sure.

It started out with Pursuer #1 (P1). P1 has been lethargically "pursuing" since July. He writes me weekly (not in the romantic letter/stamp way) but rather in the 20-something technological form...Facebook. Oh what social networking sites have done to our generation! So, ideas for meeting each other had been thrown around-we only know of each other via a mutual friend with great intentions :) There are some positive aspects to getting to know each other slowly and without the pressure of face-to-faceness, I must say. Since July there have been numerous Facebook messages (the more private option on "The Face"). Statements like "I think we'll really hit it off" blah blah blah. We hadn't written since before Christmas...the longest stretch without writing yet. Clearly (in my mind at least) this message saga had fizzled out. After all, I'm not really in the market for a pen pal! Welp, good 'ol P1 has attempted to start it back up! Really? What's the point??? I'm tired already.

Pursuer #2 (P2) was one of those "we keep running into each other, we should hang out" situations. Okay sometimes the question "Is there a cosmic reason we keep running into each other?" gets added to the last statement. Oy. Anyway, P2 was too wimpy to get my number at the last run in. Instead he awkwardly asked me before I left, "Uh...wait...so where do you live?" I wanted to rescue the poor guy and his attempt by stating the obvious, "You mean, can you have my number? Sure. Why not?" So, without a number exchange...you guessed it, back to Facebook. Starts out as a wall post (very public) then moves to a message (the true sign of intentions in social site world) The message involved an ask out to coffee. Since the previous, P1, took me down "Facebook never turns to phone" road, I decided to make life easier for everyone by replying to the message and leaving my phone number so we could "...figure the coffee plans out." Between the two of our Facebook messages, Thursday was looking like the best night for a coffee date. Here's what goes on in my mind (the very simplified version) "He has my number. I said Thursday worked for me. He'll call Thursday for a Thursday night date." Wrong. No call. Friday night rolls around and I'm out on a date with Pursuer #3 (who you'll soon meet). Inside Information: P3's chances are looking up compared to the other yahoos at this point. P2 text messages me. Clearly he got my reply on Facebook as he now has my number, yet mentions nothing about the lack of a Thursday call/coffee, but asks what I'm up to on this Friday evening. Is anybody else watching this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I text messaged him back and told him I was exhausted (totally the truth) and was staying in for the night (not totally the truth). Today I found myself updating a friend on P2's status and yelling in a dramatic fashion, "Is chivalry dead?!" I guess I'm just supposed to overlook this flaky act and assume he forgot or something? Guess what P2...I'm a busy gal and have a schedule here! I said Thursday because I'm booked on Friday! Heeeeeeeeeeello?!

The P3 date went well. Super fun and "Happy Hour" turned into "Happy lots of hours"...until 1 in the morning to be precise. I like a man who can hold a convo for 10 hours straight. It's impressive. When I told my Dad about my evening he asked, "He didn't try to get you intoxicated did He?" I responded, "Of course not! If I were intoxicated I wouldn't be able to hold a stimulating conversation, which is clearly what all guys are after!" We laughed.

Pursuer #4 is someone who should have been out of the running weeks ago! He likes to text message me every now and then and remind me of his existence (as if I need the help). After some text banter this week, he asked what I was doing on "Singles' Awareness Day" aka Valentines' Day. I responded, "If you want to take me on a DATE just say so." No response from P4. Since he's the guy who wants you to "come over and we'll get a 30-pack" this does not surprise me.

Since I've become accustomed to droughts, this busy week really stressed me out. Too much stimulation or something! Whatever it was...it gave me a rash! That's right, rash on left foot, both thighs and forehead. All I can say is when it rains it pours and apparently I don't like being "pursued" as much as I'm supposed to because instead of feeling flattered...I feel itchy!

Comments

Rowdy said…
They should be called flakes #1-4. Ugh.

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew