Skip to main content

Recession and T-Ball


Recession brings people to desperation. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I can't imagine the choices one would be forced to make if feeding his or her family were at stake. I'm sure that some are desperate enough to do things that in normal circumstances they would be incapable of doing. This is not to be taken lightly.

But, on a lighter note, I generally provide one of those, there are also desperate moves that are goin' on during this time that are not a result of survival, but merely something else...which I can't yet put my ring-less finger on. Yes that's right, I'm talking about desperate moves made by men, more appropriately titled, boys. Moves that make me say out loud, "hmmmm?" and also "huh?" I have touched on my "When it rains it pours" theory before. Well it still has yet to be disproved. We got most of the P1-P4's outta there and now there's a whole 'nother team up at bat. I can't help but use the baseball analogy as it has come in so handy within the last 10 minutes of my life. I jokingly told a friend (with whom I discuss matters with as if he were a woman, far too often) that I am "out of his league." His response was that I was right, he's in the major leagues and I play "T-ball." Only one appropriate response from me: Touche. I took it with a subtle nod of agreement. If I had a tail it would currently be in between the legs of my plaid pajama pants! I agree with my littler than Little League status (unwillingly) because when it comes to dating I DO feel like I'm playing fricken T-ball!

I often admit I'm not a pro, however being less than an expert should not force one to go play with 4 year olds! That came out wrong, try to follow. I've played the real game before. I probably would've been on a team like the Padres. They certainly are not the best (tough to say as a San Diegan), but they continue to give it their all even after a terrible, embarrassing game (after game, after game...) and those Padres are very lovable for it. So I'm in the league I should be in; for a 20-something, after having done the serious relationship thing for almost 5 years, dating around a bit etc. But I can't find anyone around who wants to play with me! OK that sounded bad. What I'm saying is, the ones that wanna "play" (attempt keeping your mind outta the gutter!) seem to be only capable of playing T-ball. I feel like throwing my bat (possibly even at a male in close proximity) and screaming "I don't wanna play T-ball anymore!"

Here are some of my stats:
Within the last week I've had 4 past "players" text me. Apparently, text messages are the new phone call? Anyway, I haven't heard from Texter #1 in a good 6 months. He felt it was okay to text at 2:00 in the morning. Do I look like that kind of baseball player? (Insert the answer "no" here). Please don't BT (booty text) me at 2:00 in the morning...or ever, obviously. A) I'm aware it's the weekend, but still am tired from working two jobs during the week and am not even awake at that hour B) Even if I was awake, I have some self-respect, thank you very much, and am not ready and willing to be "called up to bat" at any given moment! C) How dare you?! and D) How dare you again?! It seemed like it should be said twice for emphasis!
T1 clearly has some issues and is desperate enough to move to the Booty Text. Wow. Texter #2 texted me this evening and had to literally write his name and where I know him from before the actual message. It went something like this:
"Hey Sara, it's (insert name) from (insert location we met at). Long time no talk. How ya doin?"
It took me a few minutes, and I have a pretty decent memory! It has literally been a full year since I saw or heard from T2. He took me out to dinner and a movie once, coffee another time, and I'll admit it, sat next to me in class so we could flirt and write notes. Wow Point Loma dating scene was so lame. Anyway, homeboy is even older than I am (really should be in the majors by now) and still can't get a clue. I wasn't super interested at the time so the never-called-again thing didn't really phase me...'til tonight.  Why after a year are you contacting me?! Obviously neither one of us liked each other that much anyway. Is it because it's wedding season and these dudes are depressed or something? It's also bathing suit season, that seems much more depressing to me! What is going on? He had unconvincing reasoning and we went back and forth a bit with friendly catching up as I didn't want to be a total hag. His last message (infuriating mind you) was to have a great week and he "promised" he'd keep in touch. After consulting my aforementioned wise friend, I replied, "You don't have to promise, I won't be holding my breath." The kicker...are you ready for it, T2 had the audacity to reply, "Not even a little?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Wow, I'm seriously playing T-ball. I replied, "This is where I stop texting. Good night"

P4, see "When it rains..." post, continues to text after my quasi-dump. He was a relationship guy (a seemingly big leagues quality) and was moving pretty rapidly. Long story short, I wasn't that into it, couldn't see a future, broke it off. (Remember he doesn't love Jesus? Deal breaker.) Tonight we wrote a bit (I have unlimited texting in case that concern crossed your mind at this point) and within a matter of minutes he said he misses and thinks of me constantly AND that a friend "Julie" was coming in from Colorado to stay with him. I thought nothing of it. 1) Whatever. 2) I have no right to care. Then he was dumb enough to say that they used to "hook up" but now they just "sleep together." Since P4 is a relationship guy, he really does enjoy literally sleeping with someone. After commenting that I am his first choice (to sleep next to maybe?) he made it pretty clear that there was some baggage with this Julie chick etc etc. Again, reasons 1 and 2 from above apply. I made a joke about it being a good thing we're not dating now. He wrote again that he missed me and wished I was there with him. Since I'm not retarded, I caught on that "Julie" would be sleeping in his bed and it's pretty ridiculous that he says he wishes I was there...as well? Going for utterly catty-girl I said "Yea the three of us sure would be warm" The T-ball player replied, "Yea, I need to get a bigger bed. Gnight". Is this a desperate measure for jealousy? Some sort of reverse psychology tactic? No more.

Texter 3 and Texter 4 aren't worth the energy it takes to type. I think you get the picture. My stats are low...or high, whatever is BAD in baseball!


I'm tired. It's not the major leagues, but it's still exhausting!

Comments

Rowdy said…
if you'd like to talk.... ultra_rowdy@yahoo

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew