Skip to main content

Spotting


I've been dancing all week, four hours a day. I have the sore body and bruises to prove it. It's amazing to me how there are certain things in life that make us (or at least make me) utterly focused. Dance is one of those things. I don't dance often enough, but every time I do, I say to myself, "Why don't I do this more?!" It's sort of like cooking for me. For some reason my brain tells me it's more fun to go out to eat. Then, I take the time to cook, go through the process, put on the cute apron blah blah blah...and realize cooking is great and just like dancing, I should do it more often! Today as I sat (perched rather) in an awkward break-dancing position, this is where the bruises come from, it made me really think. Now normally, I don't need help thinking, this analytical-beyond-over-thinker has enough thoughts on her own. However, dancing takes away the wheels on the bus going round and round type thinking and all the sudden turns me into a focused thinker. I'm focused on good things, things that make me smile and life worth while. Some might compare it to going to Costco. Not really. It's much, much more than the rush of a Costco trip.

Seriously though I can't help but feel beautiful when I dance, even in the "8-step position" where my badonkadonk is in the air and the sweat from my red cheeks is falling to the floor beneath my hands! All inhibition goes out the window and the choreography has my attention. I think of only how my body is moving and how much I love it...and my life. As I am forced to look at myself in the wall of mirror, I see a metaphor staring me in the face. I'm forced to "spot" all day, using my own face as my spot. The key to spotting is to look in one specific place until the last possible second, then turn one's head quickly enough to see that place again. I can see the beauty in the turn, turn my head only long enough to find that beauty again. Failing to do this correctly results in losing my balance and sometimes even hitting the ground. If my eyes leave my "spot" for even half a second longer than they should, I'm clumsily falling out of the turn and in most cases getting hurt.

When I was a cheerleader in high school, spotting was totally different. In cheer terms, this meant making sure the 90 lb. girl in the air didn't crash to her death on the loose dirt track. Back then, spotting was for keeping as safe as possible when you knew a fall was coming. Now, and in dance, it's for attempting to prevent the fall before it occurs. I'm getting too old (and by old I mean SMART) to keep doing things that result in falls, even if I've become an expert at catching myself before totally hitting the ground. This week I'm reminded to prevent the falls instead. I'm no longer a cheerleader. Dancing reminds me to spot.

Comments

Karen Carter said…
I usually dance every day with Ellen. I dont love he show but love the dances. Chad made such fun of me for that. I think if everyone danced each day there would be so much more joy in the world. Somedays I turn on my music and dance in the kitchen. And I love to dance with Mr C whenever I can...You keep dancing and I will keep reading. Hugs Karen~ ps love the new widget : ) kinda fun I think

Popular posts from this blog

Here's why I shouldn't have a dog

This week I'm babysitting...a dog. Notice I didn't say dog sitting. The first time I watched her she was a puppy, an "untrained" puppy. That means she did her business all over my apartment, for an entire week. The positive reinforcement give-her-a-treat-when-rarely pooping-outside trick was not successful. Since I was teaching a two week Yoga and writing course at the time, with flexible hours, I figured the availability to come home at lunch, take her back to school with me etc would make for an easy week. False. As those of you who've followed my previous dating life have already concluded, I'm not too quick of a learner. And so, I committed to babysitting this dog again. I'm on Summer break, why wouldn't I have a dog with me...all day long? One that is no longer under 20 pounds especially. In the past 24 hours I've decided I should NEVER have a dog because of the following reasons: 1. The noise created by said dog chewing a bone makes me wa

This ship's about to sail

Here in Man Diego there are a lot of...you guessed it, MEN! I've encountered a few. Although I've made some strides in my effort to leave behind "Blanket Statements" (which ironically can be shortened to B.S.) I still hold onto some of the reasonable ones. We've talked before, well I've written and you've read rather, about dating and the inevitable game of text messaging. Thanks to At&T's unlimited plan I haven't gone completely broke yet. Texting is by far the #1 men's choice for communicating. Those fellas just love it. It's less effort than a call and seemingly more friendly than an email. My point is texting is where it's at. You better believe that if you're in your mid 20's anywhere remotely in the vicinity you will be utilizing this technological beast. I went on a date about 2 weeks ago with a "Nice" guy. Note: "Blog guy" existed somewhere in the middle of nice guy's stint. Remember m

Strategerie...

I want to love people (somehow)in all circumstances. I've been thinking lately that's the whole reason we're here. God gave us a place to figure out how to do that, to figure out where the balance is in all scenarios concerning relationships... Where's the balance between loving people and setting boundaries for yourself? Being tactful and being truthful? Thinking of your needs and being selfish? Behavior that's healthy and unhealthy? Friendly and overbearing? Extrovert and introvert? Needing people and using people? Making things happen and waiting for things to happen? Flirting and well, too much flirting? Admiration and Jealousy? Being strategic (strategerie if you will, if a President says it, it must be a word) and conniving? Childlike innocence and adulthood? I don't want to focus on these things and being "balanced" so much so that I'm inhibited all the time, but I do think being aware is essential...purposeful even! Something to chew